Monday, November 12, 2012

Gone Home

On November 10th George Thomas Learned, Mumsie's Dad and our Grandpa, left us and went to where he had been longing to go ever since his dear wife made the journey two and a half years ago.  He went to the throne room, and is in the presence of his Savior.

When we were gathered as a family Saturday night after Grandpa passed, the mention was made: "That was what Grandpa was passionate about, Christ."  And that is perfectly true.  In the last two years when he has been living with us and despite his mind not being quite clear, there was one thing at the forefront - the gospel.  His prayers, fervent and real, will always be remembered, as well as his amazing tenor voice, always ready to lift up praise to his Father and Savior.  Even later on, when he didn't quite know where he was, he would still preach the gospel of his Savior to everyone and no-one.  When he was in ER Grandpa was witnessing to the doctor, who it turned out was a Christian.  

Another memory of Grandpa was his humor.  He was our "funny" Grandpa, always ready to laugh, constantly telling puns, smiling, and joking.   That was him, and everyone who had the privilege to meet him knows exactly what I am talking about.  He would read us little ones stories and we have a photo of us all piled on and around him, our faces a picture of rapt attention.

A part of Grandpa's life, which I know only about through stories, and which sprung out of his devotion to his LORD was his 41 years as a missionary in Nigeria, and Niger, Africa, with his beautiful and loved wife Millie.  

Here is a very brief glimpse of his life, and some shots I took capturing his last week here on earth.

{To view George Learned's obituary please go here}

{George and Millie Learned}

{Teaching in Africa}

 {With his family: L to R Carmen, Cathy, Mrs. Learned, Mr. Learned, Paul, Tom}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 "Surrendered to the perfect will of God,
I dare not give Him less;
 Though he should lead my steps from here abroad,
I want His will my life to bless,
 Whatever He wants for me
His will, His will I must know;
 Wherever He wants to send me
His way, His way I must go.
 If He but speaks I'll obey at His voice,
I've already decided His will is my choice;
Whatever He wants for me,
His will, His will I must do. "
{One of Grandpa's solos}

 "Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your Lord." ~Matt 25:23

 "Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of His saints."  ~Psalm 116:15
""God Himself will be with them and be their God.  And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying.  There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away."  Then He who sat on the throne said, "Behold, I make all things new." "   ~Rev: 21 3-5

1 comment:

Daniel Bryson said...

Fitting and well-said.